06/12/2013

PM Dec 6th Dan 9


December 6th Daniel 9 Daniel’s prayer for his people
1: In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans; 2: In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem. 3: And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplication, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes: 4: And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments; 5: We have sinned, and have committed iniquity, and have done wickedly, and have rebelled, even by departing from thy precepts and from thy judgments: 6: Neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, which spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land. 7: O Lord, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee. 8: O Lord, to us belongeth confusion of face, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against thee. 9: To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him; 10: Neither have we obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets. 11: Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him. 12: And he hath confirmed his words, which he spake against us, and against our judges that judged us, by bringing upon us a great evil: for under the whole heaven hath not been done as hath been done upon Jerusalem. 13: As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth. 14: Therefore hath the LORD watched upon the evil, and brought it upon us: for the LORD our God is righteous in all his works which he doeth: for we obeyed not his voice. 15: And now, O Lord our God, that hast brought thy people forth out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and hast gotten thee renown, as at this day; we have sinned, we have done wickedly. 16: O Lord, according to all thy righteousness, I beseech thee, let thine anger and thy fury be turned away from thy city Jerusalem, thy holy mountain: because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and thy people are become a reproach to all that are about us. 17: Now therefore, O our God, hear the prayer of thy servant, and his supplications, and cause thy face to shine upon thy sanctuary that is desolate, for the Lord's sake. 18: O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies. 19: O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God: for thy city and thy people are called by thy name.
The Seventy weeks
20: And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God; 21: Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. 22: And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. 23: At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision. 24: Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. 25: Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. 26: And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. 27: And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
Daniel 10 Daniel beside the Tigris
1: In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision. 2: In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks. 3: I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled. 4: And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel; 5: Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz: 6: His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude. 7: And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves. 8: Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength. 9: Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground. 10: And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands. 11: And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling. 12: Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. 13: But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. 14: Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days. 15: And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb. 16: And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength. 17: For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me. 18: Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me, 19: And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me. 20: Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come. 21: But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.
In the first year of the reign of Darius over Babylon Daniel came to a conclusion by referring the prophesy of Jeremiah regarding the number of the years of the Judean captivity. This led to a deliberate effort by Daniel to seek the Lord regarding this issue. He fasted and wore sackcloth and made his confession for himself and on behalf of the nation. He rehearses in detail the whole sorry story of Judah’s backslidings. Then he pleads with God to turn away his anger against his people. While he is praying the angel Gabriel is sent to speak to him. The angel explained that as soon as he began to pray he was sent to answer his prayer. He said that he has been given the duty to make Daniel understand the details of his question. And he tells him that he is greatly loved. What a great blessing that must have been to Daniel. Then the angel said, Seventy weeks (Multiplies of sevens, in this case years. 70x7 years) are determined on the people and on the holy city and to finish transgression and to make an end of sins and to make reconciliation for Iniquity and to bring in everlasting righteousness and to seal up the vision (bring it to completion) and to anoint the Most Holy (Christ) All these things would be accomplished within 70 weeks (of years, i.e. 490 years) then the angel gives the start date for the beginning of this period will be the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem and the coming of the Messiah the Prince will be 62 + 7 weeks of years (i.e. 69 weeks or 483 years) The streets and walls of Jerusalem would be rebuilt in only 7 weeks (49 years) And they will be rebuilt in times of trouble. But after a further 62 weeks the Messiah will be cut off, but not for his own sins. Then afterward the people of the prince will come a destroy the city and the sanctuary and the end will be with a flood and the end will be a war bringing total desolations. The prince (the antichrist) will make a covenant with many nations for one week (7 years) But in the middle of the week (after 3 ½ years) he will cause the true sacrifice and oblation to cease because of his defiling the temple with his abominations. This will bring the sure judgement of God.
There were a number of previous periods of 70 weeks (or 490 years)
The Birth of Abraham to the Exodus

The Patriarchs 505 years
Less 15 years when Ishmael delayed the seed of promise (505 – 15 = 490 years)

The Exodus to the foundation of the Temple

The Tabernacle
In the wilderness 40 years
Under the Judges 450 years
Saul 40 years
David 40 years
Solomon 3 years
Total 573 years

Less the years when Israel were oppressed and held captive.
Cushan 8 years
Eglon 18 years
Jabin 20 years
Midianites 7 years
Philistines 40 years
Total 93 years

Plus the years
The Temple in building 7 years
The Temple was furnished 3 years
10 years

(573 – 93 + 10 = 490 years)
From the dedication of the Temple to Nehemiah’s return in the 20th year of Artaxerxes

The Temple
Total 560 years
Less the 70 year captivity 70 years

(560 – 70 = 490 years)

There were two other periods of 70 weeks
The Entrance into Canaan
The Judges 490 years 70 weeks
The Establishment of the Kingdom under Saul
The Monarchy 490 years 70 weeks
The Captivity in Babylon
This is going to culminate in the battle between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent, between Christ and the Antichrist.
After this Daniel had another contact with an angel in the third years of Cyrus king of Persia. Daniel had been in spiritual mourning for three weeks. On this occasion he sees an angel of the Lord again who explains that from the first moment that he had begun to pray he had been sent but a Demon (who he calls the king of Persia) had prevented him. Michael had come to his aid. This had a huge physical effect on Daniel. The Lord has to give him special strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment