01/07/2011

PM June 30th Psa 15

June 30th Psalm 15

1: LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? 2: He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. 3: He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour. 4: In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not. 5: He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

Psalm 16

Michtam of David

1: Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust. 2: O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee; 3: But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight. 4: Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips. 5: The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot. 6: The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. 7: I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. 8: I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. 9: Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. 10: For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 11: Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Today in Psalm 15 and 16 we have an insight into the heart of David and the worship of Israel. In Psalm 15 David asks the question as to who can stand living in the tabernacle the place of the presence of God. Then he added who will live in the holy Hill? (This probably has a prophetic tone because in the coming kingdom The Temple of the Lord will be established on the Holy Hill of Zion.) Then David answers his own question, he says He that walks with God uprightly according to the Law. He does righteous works and he speaks the truth in his mind. He does not return bitter words to others nor does he do evil things to his neighbour. And he does not take up a case against his neighbour. He treats vile people with contempt and he gives honour to those who reverence the Lord. When he promises something he will fulfil it even when it proves to be very injurious to himself. He does not lend his money to make more money nor does he take bribes to testify against innocent people. The man who lives like this is unshakeable. The next Psalm, No 16, is called a Micham of David. This means ‘A Golden Psalm’. It is a call by David on the Lord to protect him in the dangerous life that he lived as Gods man. He says preserve me because l am trusting in you. He confesses that his righteousness is not enough for the Lord but that the Lord’s goodness does extend to all those who live holy lives before their Lord. The Lord delights in them. He says those who worship other gods may they have an increase of sorrows. He says l will never offer sacrifices like them nor call on the name of their gods. The LORD, he says, is my inheritance and my cup of joy. You maintain my plot of land. The lots that chose my plot have appointed me to pleasant places. I have a good inheritance. I will bless the LORD who has given me good guidance. He motivates me even in the night. Therefore my heart is full of joy and my glory rejoices in the Lord and one day this old body will come into its rest in the assurance of resurrection to glory. Because you will not allow your holy one to be corrupted by this earth. You will show me the path of life. In your presence of overflowing joy and at your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment