08/08/2014

AM August 8th 1 Corinthians 16

August 8th 1 Corinthians 16 D. Exhortations & Benediction

The collection for the saints

1: Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2: Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. 3: And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

Last word & personal messages

4: And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me. 5: Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia. 6: And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go. 7: For I will not see you now by the way; but I trust to tarry a while with you, if the Lord permit. 8: But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost. 9: For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries. 10: Now if Timotheus come, see that he may be with you without fear: for he worketh the work of the Lord, as I also do. 11: Let no man therefore despise him: but conduct him forth in peace, that he may come unto me: for I look for him with the brethren. 12: As touching our brother Apollos, I greatly desired him to come unto you with the brethren: but his will was not at all to come at this time; but he will come when he shall have convenient time.

In this final chapter Paul gives instruction regarding the collection of money by the believers. But this is not the ordinary collection made by the believers to maintain their own work for God. This is the famine relief which Paul and Barnabas had administered. This is a collection for the poor believers in Jerusalem and Judea who had faced a famine. Paul collected money from the Gentile churches and took it to Jerusalem and put it in the hands of the Apostles and Elders there who no doubt put it into the hands of the deacons. Some say that Paul gives us an example to worship on the Sabbath in the Acts. It is true that in Pauls missionary work he did attend Synagogue on the Sabbath day, This is because This is the day that the Jews attend the Synagogue. Paul remained a Law keeping Jew in order to be able to preach to the Jews. However when churches were established and if they were predominantly Gentiles congregations then the Churches usually met on the first day of the week. So Paul says when you meet on the first day of the week let every believer lay to one side a gift of money according to how God has prospered him. There was no idea of a tithe among the Gentiles. They gave in relation to how God has prospered them. Paul says do this every week so that there does not need to be a collection when l come. Then Paul says pick out from among you some believers who are trustworthy and give them letters of introduction and if l am able l will accompany them to Jerusalem with your famine aid. Paul says l will come to you when l pass through Macedonia and l might be able to stay a while, perhaps for the winter when no sailing is available. I will not be able to see you just now but l will see you later, if God allows me. I will stay at Ephesus till Pentecost because a great opportunity is open to me there and the ministry seems to be particularly effect, but there are many opponents. If Timothy comes to see you allow him to work with you without being afraid. He is a great man and he does the work of the Lord the same as l do. Nobody must look down on him but give him every blessing so that he will be able to come to me. I wanted Apollos to come to you but at the moment he did not think it was the right time, He will come when the time is right.


  • What is the collection of the saints all about here?
  • How does Paul view his forth coming ministry?
  • How does Paul speak of Timothy and Apollos?

No comments:

Post a Comment