06/02/2015

AM February 7th Matthew 26

February 7th Matthew 26

The plot to kill Christ

1: And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished all these sayings, he said unto his disciples, 2: Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified. 3: Then assembled together the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders of the people, unto the palace of the high priest, who was called Caiaphas, 4: And consulted that they might take Jesus by subtilty, and kill him. 5: But they said, Not on the feast day, lest there be an uproar among the people.

Christ anointed at Bethany

6: Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, 7: There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. 8: But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste? 9: For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor. 10: When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me. 11: For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. 12: For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial. 13: Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

Judas enters into the bargain

14: Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, 15: And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. 16: And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.

Christ eats the last supper (The preparation of the Passover)

17: Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover? 18: And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples. 19: And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover. 20: Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve. 21: And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. 22: And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? 23: And he answered and said, He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me. 24: The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. 25: Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.

The Lord’s Last Supper

26: And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27: And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28: For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29: But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. 30: And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

The Lord predicts Peter’s denial

31: Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. 32: But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee. 33: Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended. 34: Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. 35: Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.

Christ’s previous teaching had been two days before the feast of Passover. This event in Bethany at the house of Simon the Leper a series of incidents would occur that would lead directly to the betrayal of Christ. A woman comes in having an alabaster box of very precious ointment and she poured it on Christ’s head. The disciples thought that this was a terrible waste. But nothing is wasted when it is spent on Christ. Christ said that wherever the Gospel is preached in the whole world the story of her devotion to Christ would be told. Her devotion was the last straw for Judas; he went out to make arrangements to betray Christ. The arrangements for the last supper where going to be a very closely guarded secret. The first thing Christ says at the last supper is that one of you will betray me. When the disciples heard this they were very sorrowful. And they one by one asked Him, Is it me? Judas finally asks, is it me? And Christ says, yes it is. The next thing is the inauguration of the ‘Lords Supper’. After a hymn they leave for the Mount of Olives. When the Lord tells the disciples that they will all forsake him Peter says, Even though all forsake you, I will not! The rest of the disciples said the same.


  • What did the religious leaders of Israel plan to do?
  • Why did this unknown woman anoint Christ?
  • What did Jesus have to say to his disciples at the last supper?

No comments:

Post a Comment