11/05/2014

AM May 11th John 21

May 11th The Lord gives direction to Peter

15: So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16: He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 17: He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 18: Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. 19: This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me. 20: Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? 21: Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22: Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. 23: Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

Last words - Affirmation

24: This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. 25: And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

The Lord now deals with Peter regarding his ministry. It’s a personal interview yet it was conducted in the hearing of the apostles. Jesus said, Do you love me Peter?. Peter answered, Lord you know l love you. Then the lord said feed my lambs. These are the little sheep of tender years. What a joy to feed them. Those that are shepherds need to take care for the little ones. Then the Lord asked Peter again, Peter do you love me? he answered again, You know l love you. The Lord said, Feed my sheep. Then for the third time the Lord said, Peter do you love me? Now Peter was grieved. And he answered, Lord you know everything, you know l love you. The Lord said, Feed my sheep. And so the lord took Peter from the work of the Evangelist into the work of the Pastor. Why did the Lord ask him three times? Maybe it was because he had denied him three times. Peter might have been one of those people who can have to be addressed three times before they hear. Then the Lord gave Peter an insight into his future testimony. He said, When you were young you dressed yourself and you went wherever you wished to go but when you are old you will stretch-out your hands and another person will dress you and they will carry you where you do not want to go. Jesus was describing the death by which Peter would to seal his testimony. And then he said to Peter, Follow me Peter. Then Peter turned around and saw John and Peter said to Jesus, What will this man do? Jesus said to Peter, If it is my will that he lives until l return what is that to you? You follow me and forget about other people. And so there went out a rumour that John would not die until Christ came back but that was not what Jesus said. John heard what was said and it is John that records this Gospel and he knows clearly what was said. There was so much more that Jesus did which if it were all written the whole world would not be able to contain everything that could be written.


  • Why did the Lord ask these questions of Peter?
  • What does the Lord say about Peters future?
  • In what way did the disciples misunderstand what Christ had said about John? 

No comments:

Post a Comment